Sunday 8 June 2014

Oops! A Confession and a Fox

I have a part-time job at a golf course and I love it there. It's quiet, a lake is right there, wild animals roam about and it's surrounded with trees. My first year there I was cutting the rough and oops!, I accidentally ran over a golfer's ball and cut it to shreds.  A fellow worker saw it happen and drove up to me and told me just ignore it and keep on cutting. I had to smile when I saw the golfer looking for his ball in the rough...and looking...and looking. Ordinarily I could have just given him a spare golf ball as we always have lots of them as we find lost balls hidden in the rough and by the lake all the time. Golfers really need balls that send off a signal when they lose sight of their ball. Anyways, I couldn't give the golfer a golf ball this particular day because this was an old fashion tournament. The golfers dress up in period costumes from the 1800's and used period golf clubs and golf balls. I didn't have a spare golf ball from the 1800's!

While working on the course I find many times I am inspired in my thoughts by nature. If I have time I will just sit there on my machine and watch a fox chasing a squirrel and then find myself rooting for the squirrel. Run buddy run!!! Most time the squirrels win. The fox is an interesting animal as it will loose it fear of humans in a short time. I can always tell if it's a new fox on the course as it will take off as soon as they see us or hear our machines, while the ones that have graduated to permanent residence at the course will calmly go about their business with us or the golfers around. This drives the golfers nuts as the furry little foxes will randomly just pick up a golf ball off the fairway that is in play. The golfers will shout and yell to no avail while the fox walks away...golf ball in mouth!

Confession is good for the soul. So I confess today to that golfer out there that was fruitlessly looking for his golf ball in the ninth fairway's rough a few years ago. I was a fox that day as I more or less stole your golf ball! I would confess in person but I don't remember what you look like and most players at the old fashion tournament are from out of town. Many apologies to you sir!! I learned my lesson and since that day pay careful attention out there on the course for golf balls. Because of you I must have collected at least a couple hundred golf balls lost that golfer's have lost. If your're ever at the course again I have ten top notch golf balls to give you for my transgression.

Good day, and keep your eyes open!




No comments:

Post a Comment